Create a Guided Practice
Teachers can create their own curriculum items. Use a custom Guided Practice when you want students to practice Keyboarding skills using your own material. The Guided Practice will automatically calculate an accuracy score and words per minute (WPM). When the student is done, he or she will get an accuracy and WPM update and the teacher will see the accuracy score in the gradebook.
Step 1: Getting Started
- Click My Resources
- Click the Items icon
- Click Create Item
- Select “Guided Keyboard Practice” and then click Next
- To navigate through the different sections, click the section headers
- Click Save any time during this process. We recommend saving as often as you would for any word processing program.
Step 2: Details Page, Categories, and Standards
- Enter a name and a description
- Select an Estimated Time and Grade Range
- Enter Keywords and Objectives
- Select category alignments from the three-column taxonomy browser
- Select standards alignments from the three-column standards browser
Step 3: Prompt
- Add a Prompt of your choosing
- Click Save
Technical Tips for Success
- It’s recommended to avoid text that has complex formatting, such as tables, charts, outlines, or bullets.
- Watch out for symbols and special characters that can’t be reproduced on a standard keyboard; the students won’t be able to correctly input and move past these characters.
- If your text has quotation marks or other characters that can be read as symbols, paste the entire text as “plain text” when possible. You can make your text “plain text” by first pasting it into a Notepad, then copying the text from that Notepad, and pasting it into the Guided Practice text field.