Uploading Student Accounts with the User Import Tool
Creating and Updating Student Accounts with the User Import Tool
The User Import Tool (UIT) is a Windows-only tool available for download on the Coordinator Home Page, in the Import Users section.
If you do not have access to a Windows computer, complete Steps 1 and 2 below and then contact Customer Support for further assistance: firstname.lastname@example.org or 800.580.4640 x2.
Step 1: Create and Format a Spreadsheet with Student Information
Create a spreadsheet of student information. See below for an example or download a template. Each row represents one student account. The User Import Tool is particular about formatting so it is important to abide by the following guidelines.
- Be sure that headers are entered exactly as shown below in the spreadsheet.
- Use 0 or K for Kindergarten in the grade column.
- Use alphanumeric characters (letters and numbers) for first, last, and usernames. Special characters and spaces are not allowed except for hyphens, underscores, apostrophes, quotation marks, and periods.
Step 2: Save the spreadsheet
Save the file in the comma separated value format, i.e., CSV (Comma Delimited). Close the file.
Step 3: Download and launch the Learning.com User Import Tool from your computer
Login to your Learning.com coordinator account. On the left-hand side of your coordinator homepage, select ‘Import Users’ under the ‘User Account Tools’ header. The User Import Tool (UIT) will download to your desktop.
Open the UIT, sign in using your Learning.com coordinator credentials, and follow the pictures below.
Please note: Conventions for automatically-generated username:
For K-2 students, the username will be the first name followed by the first initial of the last name.
- Example: Rosie Jones would become rosiej
For 3-12 students, the username will be the first initial of the first name followed by the last name.
- Example: Trevor Smith would become tsmith
- Create one large file with all students, from every grade and school, up to 10,000 students. For districts larger than 10,000 students, create multiple files.
- If you are a current user and have students uploaded, export a correctly formatted CSV file from Find/Manage Users on the Coordinator page or from a Student Information System.
- Creating extra students accounts does not use licenses.
- The Update Options screen can change current students’ usernames and/or passwords. The User Import Tool matches Student ID numbers and then edits all other information.
- During the validation step, the UIT examines the CSV file for problems and compares the data to current accounts. Error messages relate to this process. It is possible to see and correct errors, run the tool again, and get different errors. Checking the “Skip Errors” box tells the import tool to ignore those rows in the CSV.
- The errors in the details window can be copied and pasted out of the window into a word processing application. This is helpful when reviewing and correcting the errors.
- If using lead-in zeroes, format columns as text or “Custom” and the total number of characters as zeroes in Type (i.e., if usernames should have 4 characters, Type: 0000). Formatting must be repeated anytime CSV file is opened.
Common Error Messages