Uploading Teacher Accounts with the User Import Tool
Creating and Updating Educator Accounts with the User Import Tool
The User Import Tool (UIT) is a Windows-only tool available for download on the Coordinator Home Page, in the Import Users section. If you do not have access to a Windows computer, complete Steps 1 and 2 below and then contact Customer Support for further assistance: email@example.com or 800.580.4640 x2.
Step 1: Create and Format a Spreadsheet with Educator Information
Create a spreadsheet of educator information. See below for an example or download a template. The User Import Tool is particular about formatting so it is important to abide by the following guidelines.
- Be sure that headers are entered exactly as shown below in the spreadsheet.
- Only use alphanumeric characters (letters and numbers) for first, last, and usernames. No special characters (i.e., hyphen, apostrophe, spaces, etc.)
- Teacher Role indicates that the selected account can assign curriculum to students.
- Proctor Role indicates that the selected account can assign and administer assessments.
Step 2: Save the spreadsheet
Save the file in the comma separated value format, i.e., CSV (Comma Delimited). Close the file.
Step 3: Download and launch the Learning.com User Import Tool from your computer
Enter your coordinator login credentials and follow pictures below
Please note: Conventions for automatically-generated username:
The username will be the first initial of the first name followed by the last name. If multiple educators have the same first initial and last name, the username will have a number at the end.
- Taylor Jones would become tjones.
- Tegan Jones would become tjones00.
- Tomas Jones would become tjones2.
- Create one large file with all educators, from every school in the district, up to 10,000 educators. For districts larger than 10,000 educators, create multiple files.
- If you are a current user and already have educators uploaded, a correctly formatted CSV file can be exported from Find/Manage Users on the Coordinator page. Creating extra educator accounts does not use up licenses.
- If the UIT adds an educator account to a different school than previously listed, it will not delete the account at the original school.
- During the validation step, the UIT examines the CSV file for problems and compares the data to the current accounts. Error messages relate to this process. The UIT displays errors in stages. It is possible to see and correct errors, run the tool again, and get different errors.
- The errors in the detail window can be copied and pasted out of the window into a word processing application.
- This is helpful when reviewing and correcting the errors. Checking the “Skip Errors” box tells the import tool to ignore those rows in the CSV.
- If using lead-in zeroes, format columns as text or “Custom” and the total number of characters as zeroes in Type (i.e., if usernames should have 4 characters, Type: 0000). Formatting must be repeated anytime CSV file is opened.
Common Error Messages