Setting up Canvas with Learning.com
Canvas integrates with Learning.com content within the Canvas LMS. Importing Learning.com’s Thin Common Cartridge file allows Canvas teachers and students to seamlessly access Learning.com content inside their Canvas class. The steps below can be completed by individual teachers creating a class. An administrator can also create these tools for the district.
When using Learning.com content in Canvas, the Canvas student accounts will be used. There is no need to create student accounts on Learning.com in that scenario.
Connecting to Learning.com in Canvas
To connect to Learning.com, you can find the Learning.com Library app in the Canvas App Center and add your key and secret. Then edit this App configuration and add the domain of: docker.learning.com
Locating your Key and Secret
- Select the ‘Licenses’ menu at the top of your Coordinator page
- Under ‘Integration Registration Credentials’ header, you’ll find your Key & Secret
Importing Common Cartridge files
Bulk distribution of curriculum through the Common Cartridge is used to assign content that has been arranged in a sequence. EasyTech and Custom Curriculum sequences can be exported for use in Canvas. You can import our EasyTech file, and you can also import Custom Sequences created on Learning.com.
If you are not interested in importing full sequences or our EasyTech file, you can use the Library App to select individual items from our Library. That is discussed further down this page.
Exporting EasyTech Canvas Common Cartridge file from Learning.com
The EasyTech file will include all EasyTech content.
- Log in to Learning.com with a Coordinator account
- Click ‘Licenses’ at the top of your screen, and then ‘Learning System Integrations’
- Click the ‘Export Curriculum…’ drop down menu
- Select ‘EasyTech Common Cartridge for Canvas LMS’ to start your download
- Save the file that is generated
Exporting a Thin Common Cartridge file from Custom Curriculum Sequences on Learning.com
A Custom Curriculum sequence in your Library can be exported to a Thin Common Cartridge file and imported into Canvas. This step must be performed by a Learning.com Author account in a district that is licensed with Curriculum Publisher.
- Log in to Learning.com with an Author account
- Click the desired Custom Curriculum sequence in the Library tab
- Select Thin Common Cartridge 1.3 from export menu
- Save the file that is generated
Importing the Canvas Common Cartridge file
- Log in to Canvas with a Teacher or Administrator account
- Select an existing course or start a new course
- Click ‘Settings’ in your course menu
- Once ‘Settings’ is selected, you will have the option to ‘Import Course Content’
- Under ‘Import Content’ you’ll see a drop-down menu: select ‘Canvas Course Export Package’
- Choose the Canvas Common Cartridge file you downloaded from Learning.com and choose ‘Select specific content’
- Select ‘Import’
- If you’ve chosen ‘Select specific content’, you will be able to make your selection and also add external tools. You will also be alerted to configuration issues; this is a reminder to complete the configuration of the external tools that were created.
- If you are importing a Custom Curriculum sequence created on Learning.com, you can use the ‘Select specific content’ option and uncheck the External Tools section as those will not be needed.
Assigning Learning.com Curriculum in Canvas
Now that you have configured the Library App, you are ready to assign Learning.com content to your students.
There are two approaches to assigning items to a class: using modules or making individual assignments with the Learning.com Library App.
Using/creating modules in Canvas
Using the imported Common Cartridge file, you can publish an entire Custom Curriculum unit or EasyTech sequence to your class. You can also edit sequences to remove items or re-order those items.
- Select an existing course or start a new course
- Select ‘Assignments’
- Scroll through the assignments listed or search for items using the search bar above the assignment list
- To assign items that you find in a module, you need to publish that module; you can also create your own module to add items to, then publish that module
- If you are using the imported modules, publish the module that has desired assignments in it by clicking the circle with a slash icon in the module’s row
- You can then un-publish any items that you’d like to exclude; you can also drag the items into a different order.
- When an item is not yet published, the icon will appear as a circle with a slash through it
- When the item has been published, the icon will appear as a green circle with a check
mark in it
- Note: the items titled ‘Whole Class Instruction’ are teacher-led discussions and won’t be visible to the students
- You can change the item name by clicking the three vertical dots and selecting ‘Edit’
- When your students log in, they will find these assignments under their ‘Assignments’ tab
*Note that the Grader app is not needed, and any other external tools installed can be deleted. The Library app is the only required external tool.
Assigning individual items using the Learning.com Library App
The second approach is to use the Learning.com Library App to peruse the Library through the Learning.com interface and assign individual items back to Canvas.
Some educators may wish to view additional information surrounding curriculum items, such as ISTE alignments. By pulling up items using the Library App that was previously configured, users can access additional data.
- Select an existing course
- Select ‘Assignments’ in the left column
- Click the ‘+ Assignment’ button
- Enter the assignment name (required) and a brief description for the students (optional)
- Set the ‘Points’ to 100 to ensure smooth grade transfer
- Set the ‘Display Grade as’ option to either ‘Points’ or ‘Percentage’
- Under ‘Submission Type’ select ‘External Tool’
- Click ‘Find’
- Choose Learning.com’s Library App; this will allow you to look through your Learning.com Library page to find items
- After assigning the item from the Library, you will be brought back to the same dialog box
- Click ‘Select’ again
- Then click ‘Save’ or ‘Save and Publish’ at the bottom
- The item will launch in this window
- If you see an error instead of the assigned item, be sure to check your App configurations
Note that while student accounts are not required on Learning.com if you are using Canvas accounts with our content in Canvas. For a teacher to use the Library App, though, they should have an account created on Learning.com to enable them to see the Library content for their school.
Grading Application Exercises
Application Exercises have a Teacher Dashboard that allows you to review completed work and send scores to the Canvas gradebook.
To access your Dashboard and review student work, click on an Application Exercise listed in your Canvas class.
For more information on using our Application Exercise Dashboard, see our Anatomy of Application Exercises page here.
Notes about EasyCode Foundations (CodeMonkey) items in Canvas:
Student progress in EasyCode Foundations can be viewed only in the Teacher Dashboard on the CodeMonkey platform.
To navigate to your Teacher Dashboard in CodeMonkey, click on a lesson title on your assignment list and then click the brown ‘EasyCode’ button:
This will allow you access to the student interface as well as to gradebook information for your classes.
You can read more about the EasyCode gradebook here.
To grade Application Exercise entries your students have submitted for these levels, click on that item in your assignments list. This will show you the Teacher Dashboard.
While the levels themselves are automatically graded within CodeMonkey, teachers may want to enter grades for the Application Exercises in the Canvas Gradebook.
Notes about EasyCode Pillars (Codesters) items in Canvas:
When assigning EasyCode Pillars items in Canvas, choose the option to open in a new window. This will ensure that your students can see the entire Codesters assignment page.
Student progress in EasyCode Pillars can be viewed only in the Teacher Dashboard on the Codesters platform.
All activities will auto-score except the final project, which must be manually graded.
To navigate to your Teacher Dashboard in Codesters, click on a lesson title in Canvas. This will take you to your Codesters teacher page.
Learn more about the Codesters gradebook here.
Viewing Progress for Adaptive Keyboarding
To navigate to your Adaptive Keyboarding Teacher Dashboard, click on either ‘The Great Keyboarding Adventure’ or ‘Urban Keyboarding Explorer’ in your class assignment list.
You can read more about the Adaptive Keyboarding Teacher Dashboard here.
Using Canvas for Single Sign-On to Learning.com
If you chose not to use Canvas as your LMS for Learning.com assignments, you can instead create an assignment with your key and secret. The launch url to use for that item is: https://platform.learning.com/LTI/Lms
Note that this url is case sensitive.
In this scenario, accounts need to be created on Learning.com for those students to be signed into.
Using EasyTech Pre-tests
When using the Canvas LMS, EasyTech Pre-tests will provide a score to the gradebook, but they will not prescribe lessons.